Find out how to use your private medical insurance to access services at Benenden Hospital
Contact your insurance company
Before you attend hospital for consultation or diagnostic tests, it’s essential that you get authorisation from your insurance company. So, before your first appointment, you should contact them to check the following:
- Is your condition covered?
- Are you covered for the planned treatment at Benenden Hospital, including your first out-patient appointment?
- Does your insurance company recognise the consultant you have chosen?
- Is there an excess payable on your policy?
- Are there any monetary limits for outpatient treatment on your policy?
- Is outpatient cover restricted to claims that result in a hospital admission?
And remember to check that you’re covered at each stage of your treatment, as you’ll be responsible for any additional costs not covered by your insurance.
Once you’ve contacted your insurance company about your planned hospital visit, some insurance companies may give you a pre-authorisation reference. If you are given a pre-authorisation reference please pass it on to our Private Patient office. Call them on 01580 242 521.
Next, your insurer will send you a claim form. Completing this, before your hospital visit, is essential. If you don’t receive one, contact your insurance company and remind them to send it. When you get it, here’s what to do:
- Complete and sign the ‘patient’ sections.
- Bring your claim form with you when you attend your first out-patient appointment.
- If you’re being admitted for in-patient or day-case treatment, please hand your claim form to the Hospital’s Private Patient office, so that we can arrange for the medical section to be completed by your consultant.
- If your claim form is already with your consultant, GP or insurance company, just let us know.
Before admission, we’ll write to you asking for the following details:
- The name of your insurer
- Your membership or policy number
- Confirmation of eligibility such as a pre-authorisation or claim number (some insurers give a different reference to the treatment, and authorisation of a consultation does not necessarily mean that they have authorised the treatment that results)
- Any excess applying to your policy (most insurers will ask you to pay that direct to us).
Please bring these details to your first appointment. It’s vital that we have this information before admission because insurers may refuse to make a payment they haven’t pre-authorised. In that case, you’d be liable for the entire bill.
Benenden Hospital is recognised by most of the major insurance companies listed below. If your insurance company isn’t listed, call your insurer and ask for a referral to Benenden Hospital Trust.
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Simply health
- Vitality Health
- National Friendly
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Friendly Society Ltd
- General & medical Healthcare
- Saga Health Insurance