Over 100 years of excellent patient care
Benenden Hospital was opened in 1907 by the National Association for the Establishment and Maintenance of Sanatoria - to treat postal workers suffering from tuberculosis.
The Association was a consortium founded by trade unions and friendly societies and the Benenden Healthcare Society (formerly the Post Office and Civil Service Sanatoria) became a member. By 1951 the Association had disbanded, and the Benenden Healthcare Society took over the sanatorium.
With cases of TB declining, the Benenden Healthcare Society expanded treatment to include chest complaints and cancer, shortly afterwards building an operating theatre, surgical wards and an x-ray department.
Today the Benenden Healthcare Society is known as Benenden Health. Benenden Health offers a range of discretionary healthcare and well-being services to individual and business healthcare members.
Benenden Hospital is a subsidiary and is an independent hospital with charitable status, which continues the principle of providing first-class treatment for a wide range of specialities.