Benenden Hospital was opened in 1907 by the National Association for the Establishment and Maintenance of Sanatoria - to treat postal workers suffering from tuberculosis.
The Association was a consortium founded by trade unions and friendly societies and the Benenden Healthcare Society (formerly the Post Office and Civil Service Sanatoria) became a member. By 1951 the Association had disbanded and the Benenden Healthcare Society took over the sanatorium.
With cases of TB declining, the Benenden Healthcare Society expanded treatment to include chest complaints and cancer and shortly afterwards an operating theatre, surgical wards and an x-ray department were introduced.
Today the Benenden Healthcare Society is known as Benenden. Benenden offers a range of discretionary healthcare and well-being services to individual and business healthcare members.
Benenden Hospital is a subsidiary and is an independent hospital with charitable status which continues the principle of providing first-class treatment for a wide range of specialities.
Although Benenden members are the main users of the hospital, those who wish to fund their own treatment (directly or through insurance) as well as people coming to us as NHS patients through the NHS e-Referral Service, are also welcome.